Australian Vaccination Network-Public Warning
In an effort to stem the spread of misinformation about vaccines, the Australian New South Wales Health Care Complaints Commission has issued this Public Warning about the Australian Vaccine Network (AVN). Here are some excerpts to keep in mind:
The Commission’s investigation established that the AVN website:
- provides information that is solely anti-vaccination
- contains information that is incorrect and misleading
- quotes selectively from research to suggest that vaccination may be dangerous.
Furthermore the Commission suggests the following:
On this basis, the Commission recommended to the AVN that it should include a statement in a prominent position on its website to the following effect:
- The AVN’s purpose is to provide information against vaccination, in order to balance what it believes is the substantial amount of pro-vaccination information available elsewhere.
- The information provided by the AVN should not be read as medical advice.
- The decision about whether or not to vaccinate should be made in consultation with a health care provider.
Reasonable suggestions. The AVN keeps perpetrating the same, debunked, myths about vaccines, the same way the Age of Autism and similar organizations do in the USA. Please, make sure to check with your pediatrician, or 2 or 3, but make sure not to fall for the pretty rhetoric of non-experts. The “mommy instinct” may come in handy in many situations when raising your child, but it cannot decide on scientific matters. Vaccines save lives, but don’t take my word for it; just check out my Vaccine Preventable Suffering tag and you’ll see for yourself.